Jinx! - LED Matrix Control ... und die nächste Matrix Software ...

• Hi krawallo and others. (sorry again for English)

I am using Glediator an Jinx! for my LED-matrix 32 x 16 which I can drive with Glediator protocol over serial connection.

Latelly I have been thinking of larger matrixes. But before building one I have created an emulator on Raspberry where i can set (and modify) the size of the matrix and display it with the HDMI display on TV.

Suddenly there is a problem, how to send the huge data from Glediator or Jinx! for ex. 64 x 32 matrix. Both Glediator and Jinx! can still send the data with Glediator protocol over serial, but they slow down the frame-rate signifficantly.

Is there really no cheaper solution, than the 3 x DIAMEX LED-Player "M" (3 x £55 at Amazon)

I'd like to ask this great LED-fantast community, if anyone has built (or at least know of) an Arduino/ESP8266/ESP32/RPi solution to drive a decently large matrix of WS2812 or other LEDs.

I have tried with Artnet using ESP32 over Wifi for 64x32 matrix, with 16 universes, but it seems that packets are lost.

• 64x32 is a large number of leds to be controlled.

In principle, Artnet can handle this amount of channels. But I wouldn't use WiFi, the connection is not reliable enough. Sure, it depends on which kind of casting you are using - but with the experiences I made using Artnet over WiFi I would never control a matrix of this size via WiFi.

If you think about buying a controller, I would look for a single controller capable of controlling all leds. Using multiple controllers you risk that they don't run synchronously. As far is I know, Jinx! and Glediator don't send a synchronisation signal - the commercial (and expensive) software Madrix does so; but it depends on the controller if it can handle this properly.

• Hi again,

I am happy to discuss the matter of controlling big matrixes.

And you guys, do not worry about English, you can still answer me in German. Google translator helps us :) in both directions, even if you might have objections against some syntax. Just try to keep your language simple, please.

Back to you HBB:

Recently I have managed to receive Jinx! TPM2.net protocoll over Wifi for a 64x32 matrix without loss of packets. Wifi is not reliable, but it is the only way, I can do it with my knowledge and resonably cheap hardware.

If controllers for single LED-strip are expensive, then I can imagine the price of multichanel controllers. I do not think the synchronization is much of a problem. The controllers send the electrical signals to the srips imediatelly when they receive the protocolled data. But I will see.

In the begining of my playing with LED-strips I built a cheap (Arduino nano) controller, that converts Glediator protocoll to the electrical signal for LED-strip. I am still using it. It is physically attached to the LED-matrix. It has many advantages.

1. it costs peanuts.

2. it is safe for the LEDs. If something happens with the cables, the sending computer or the power supply for the communication, the LEDs do not receive anything. All the protecting components (capacitor and resistor) are just calculated for the (very) short distance from nano to the strip.

3. the timing or the voltage of the electrical signal is not an issue.

4. There is no obstacle in speed. The LED-signal is about 800kHz, while Glediator protocoll uses 1000 kBaud. Everything is just delayed by one frame. If you would use the same for each segment of your complete huge matrix display, it is perfectly synchronized.

5. The RS232 or whatever serial protocoll is very well accepted by the industry and is developed for "larger" distances, which is certainly not the LED-driving signal. If I would need to use larger distance, I can easily find circuits to safely transfer the serial data levels (+12V/-12V) over suitable cables.

6. Many microcontrollers (like ESP32) have UART that uses some kind of DMA technique, so that you are not depending on the LED-library's implementation of SPI or whatever (like FastLED.show)

7. The only thing I need to do in the few fancy Arduino examples is to change FastLED.show to my SendGlediator() . This is of coarse not completely true for ex. Adafruit matrix.show. Adafruit are purists, that managed to hide the LED array for the users, so that controlling it is academicaly safer, but much slower, since you have to read it pixel by pixel instead of using memcpy()

The list could be longer. But the most important thing is, that my LED-matrix survived several years of harsh development. Yes, I burned a few strips' first LED in the beginning, so I made my lesson.

With all that said, I am still looking for a solution, where Raspberry accepts TPM2.net over LAN cable.

• Habe mir jetzt den Akai APC Mini geholt. Leider bekomme ich die Midi-Ansteuerung bei Jinx nicht hin. Mir geht es erst mal um die Fader. Ich weiß nicht, was ich bei "Controller" einstellen muss.
    Wenn ich die Nummern dieser Abbildung eintrage gehen die Fader nicht.

Mit MidiOX habe ich geschaut, welche Daten aus dem APCMini rauskommen, wenn ich einen Fader bewege.
    Ich habe es dann mit Zahlen von Data 1 probiert. Geht auch nicht.
    Leider gibt es im ganzen Netz keine Anleitung dazu.
    Need Help.

• Habe die Lösung gefunden. Man muss alles auf Midi-Kanal 0 stellen, denn laut Anleitung: "

: Jinx! will always start any channel count at zero. DMX normally starts counting in human order,
    means 1 is the first channel. So if you converting any DMX data to remotely control Jinx! you should take
    care about that and know that DMX channel 1 will get Channel 0 inside Jinx!"

Jetzt gehen die Fader!

• Hallo, ich habe auch eine Frage zu Jinx!

Und zwar möchte ich die Aussenkanten und Böden zweier Regale mit LED-Streifen bekleben und dieses "Netzmuster" mit einem LED-Controller mit Jinx ansteuern. Leider ist das mein erstes LED-Projekt. Ich weiß halt nicht, wie ich das patchen kann?

Ich habe eine Zeichnung beigefügt, um zu erklären, wie das Endergebnis aussehen soll:

Kann mir jemand erklären, wie ich das vernünftig bewerkstelligen kann?

Hardware-Controller und LED-Streifen sind bereits vorhanden. Wie ich die Streifen am sinnvollsten "verlege" und verlöte aber noch nicht....

• Ich weiß nicht, ob Jinx! für Dein Projekt das Richtige ist.

Wenn es Dir einfach um verschiedene bunte Effekte geht, fährst Du z.B mit Wled wesentlich besser. Dieses ist in erster Linie für eindimensionale Effekte (einreihige Strips) gemacht und ermöglicht schier unendliche Farb- und Effektmöglichkeiten.

Jinx! ist ein Matrix-Programm, und deshalb muss man im Setup auch eine Matrix konfigurieren, über die dann später die Effekte laufen. Natürlich kann man beim Patchen auch nur einzelne Pixel oder Reihen patchen - die Matrix als Grundmuster bleibt aber. Beispiel: Du willst ein Kreuz aus jeweils einer 50-Pixel und einer 100-Pixel-Reihe bespielen; dann müsstest Du eine Matrix 50x100 anlegen und danach nur Deine 2 Reihen patchen.

Also, es geht rein technisch natürlich, nur ob es Sinn ergibt, steht auf einem anderen Blatt. Ich könnte mir das nur für den Fall vorstellen, dass man pixelgenaue individuelle Effekte erstellen will. Das ginge dann über den Umweg eines selbsterstellten Gifs (z.B. mit Piksel), welches dann wiederum von Jinx! abgespielt werden kann. Aber auch das ist sehr aufwendig...

Hardware-Controller und LED-Streifen sind bereits vorhanden. Wie ich die Streifen am sinnvollsten "verlege" und verlöte aber noch nicht....

Ich würde das vor dem Verlegen alles erst mal ausprobieren. Und beim Verlegen/Verlöten gibt's auch einiges zu beachten, Stichworte: Einspeisungen, Spannungsfall, Stromstärke etc.

• Also ausprobiert habe ich. Es funktioniert auch. Ich benutze einen Controller von Uli Radig. Mit Jinx! konnte ich nen 5 Meter Streifen mit 2 Universen ja schonmal patchen. Das ging ganz gut. Mit Madrix (Demo) hab ich nichts hinbekommen. Da kann ich den Controller zwar einbinden und auch im Menü anmachen zum Testen, aber kein Matrix-Erstellungsversuch ist mir gelungen, das auch etwas leuchtet.

• Das ist prima.

Wenn Du schon einen Radig-Controller hast (die sind schon top!) würde ich natürlich auch Jinx! nehmen. Madrix habe ich nie probiert, weil Jinx! bisher alles konnte, was für mich nötig war. Ansonsten gilt für das Patchen in Jinx! weiterhin das, was ich oben geschrieben habe.

Ich finde das aber nach wie vor ein bisschen wie mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schießen, weil es für so ein Projekt auch viel simpler geht. NodeMCU oder ESP32Board, evtl noch einen Levelshifter drangehängt und das Ganze mit WLED flashen. Da liegst Du bei um die zehn Euro (inklusive Programmer) und es läuft out of the box mit zig Effekten.

• Hallo.

Ich möchte gerne meinen BC-216 LED Controller mit Jinx! über Artnet ansteuern.

Wenn ich bei den Output Devices auf Scan klicke wird der Controller mit 5 Universen gefunden.

Leider leuchtet jedoch keine der an den Controller angeschlossenen LEDs wenn ich den Output starte und ein Lichteffekt wähle.

Würde mich sehr freuen wenn mir jemand weiterhelfen könnte.

• Hallo,

Ich bin auf der Suche nach einem einfachen kostenlosen Programm um eine Leinwand mit Videocontent zu bespielen. Mir ist zwar klar, dass Jinx dafür eigentlich nicht gedacht ist, aber ich habe nichts besseres gefunden und es funktioniert soweit auch ganz gut.

Meine Frage: Ist es möglich den Jinx Output irgendwie als Quelle in OBS zu verwenden? Die einzige mir bekannte Möglichkeit ist das Verwenden des DVI-Window und dann Screen-Capturing in OBS, das ist aber irgendwie umständlich.

• Very new, and loving the software thus far. How would I set up a circular matrix? What I am using it in is a putting RGB LEDs on the front of 24" drum heads to display graphics and animations. But I am not certain the best way to handle that. As well as making sure the matrix understands that column one only has 3 LEDs while column 6 may have 9 LEDs. (just an example, still working on the build.)

Thank you

• Hi, I'm freaking out!

I have to configure 2 8 x 32 matrixes connected to each other that make up a single 8 x 64 matrix using the E1.31 protocol

For this matrix I would need 8x64x3 = 1536 blocks. But the new device configuration wizard won't let me do it. I tried to insert the same device 3 times with only 8x21x3=504 blocks simulating 3 universes, the thing works, but at each junction then I lose 2 cells and the matrix gets out of phase.

How should I do?

• I think you misunderstood the expression "blocks". Your calculation is right, but your result is the number of channels - not blocks!

8x64x3 = 1536 channels.

One universe has max 512 channels, a single pixels requires 3 channels (r,g,b). So 512/3 = 170,6.... So you can drive 170 pixels with one universe, that means you have to set channels to 510 (170x3). (Leaving the setting at 512 results in the loss of two channels you described.

Once you haved configured one device with its max number of pixels (170), driving more pixels than 170 requires additional universes. In your case: 1536/170=9,03... , that means you have to configure 10 devices/universes.

This makes patching a little bit complicate and you shouldn't expect your first attempt will make it - but it works fine, once you've got behind it.

Another option is using tpm2.net: you would configure only one device an patching would be much easier. But I don't know if this is an option for you.

• tnx for your answ.
    uhm, I suppose that my hardware controller is not able to use tpm2.net, but when i use XLights the system automatically split universe... but i will check better.
    I understand what you told about channel, and I also configured to use only 504 channle (becouse 21x8x3 return 504) and i can use seimple rectagular part of matrix, but is like the last 2 pixel (504,505,506 and 507,508,509) are used the same and leave me 2 blank pixel.
    For resolve this for now i did this (but only for test, is very slow to do)
    20x8 starting from 18, device 1 with fast path
    by hand pixel 3-8 with first channel of device 1

by hand pizel 1-2 with last channel of device 2
    21x8 starting from 0, device 2 fast path

I solved but very stupid way.

I retry with changing the number of channel to 504 but as i told I already did

• Hallo,

ich habe mir eine LED-Wall mit 12x 1m-Streifen WS2812b mit jeweils 60 LEDs/m gebaut. Die Steuerung läuft über zwei NodeMCUs/ESP8266 mit WLED als Artnet-Empfängern, die jeweils eine Hälfte ansteuern. Das habe ich im Zusammenspiel mit Jinx nach ein paar Startschwierigkeiten mittlerweile gut laufen.

Was ich leider nicht hinbekomme, ist die Steuerung von Jinx über Artnet um zwischen den Szenen zu wechseln. Ich hoffe, ihr könnt mir da helfen, auch das ans Laufen zu bekommen. Das ganze soll am Ende über den Chat von Twitch steuerbar sein.

Zuerst habe ich in Jinx die Remote Control-Funktion aktiviert:

So sieht die Szenenliste aktuell aus:

Dann habe ich im ersten Step mit Lumia Stream versucht, Jinx anzusprechen. Da kam keine Reaktion von Jinx. Lumia Stream lief hier bereits auf einem anderen Rechner. Einen Konflikt um den Port 6454, auf dem ja auch Jinx an die beiden Controller sendet, würde ich daher ausschließen.

Da das nicht funktioniert hat und Lumia Stream scheinbar sowieso keine Zustände für Artnet-Geräte speichern kann, habe ich mir dann ein Programm für einen dritten ESP8266 geschrieben. (Das kannte ich halt, da ich vorher einen einfachen LED-Streifen mit selbstgeschriebener Software schon laufen hatte.)

Hiermit kriege ich die Verbindung zum Twitch Chat hin und kann auch Artnet versenden. Falls interessant, der Code ist hier einsehbar: https://github.com/shelvis/Twi…nx/blob/main/src/main.cpp

Artnet wird hier per Broadcast ins Netz gesendet.

In DMXKing eDMX (läuft auf anderem Rechner als Jinx, so wie vorher auch Lumia Stream) kann ich sehen, dass die Artnet-Daten wie erwartet versendet werden.

Nur leider erfolgt in Jinx keine Reaktion darauf :(

Was mache ich hier falsch?

Vielen Dank vorab für eure Hilfe!

• Weil man ja manchmal was übersieht: Stimmen denn Net, Subnet und Universe (Bei den Artnet-Einstellungen....)? - Manche SW fangen hier bei 1 zu zählen an, manche bei 0 - hatte sowas auch schon mal mit Jinx! und vvvv, da lag's dann daran...

It's only light - but we like it!

Da es sich in letzter Zeit häuft: Ich beantworte keine PNs mit Fragen, die sich auch im Forum beantworten lassen!
    Insbesondere solche von Mitgliedern mit 0 Beiträgen, die dann meist auch noch Sachen fragen, die bereits im entsprechenden Thread beantwortet wurden.
    Ich bin keine private Bastler-Hotline, technische Tipps etc. sollen möglichst vielen Lesern im Forum helfen!